Johannishof, Berlin

Gross Floor Area: 15.100 m²
Enclosed Space: 55.400 m³
Floor Area: 10500 m²
Project Period: 1999 - 2001

The Johannishof has been built as a cigarette factory in an industrial buildings typical steel skeleton style around 1910. After rebuilding the object in the beginning of the fifties the building was first used as a hotel, later on as a guesthouse of the Council of Ministers of the German Democratic Republic. Vandalism and destruction of the time after the wall came down in Germany have hurt the building, so it needed a fundamental redevelopment and restoration. The conversion into a new and modern office building took the historical substance of the building's structure into consideration, because some parts have been listed for preservation, and supplemented the form of the building according to the specific needs of the new users - the media industry.

The former missing entrance zone has been newly designed by us as a transparent porch in the area of the building line of the back jumping part of the construction, so it shows the modern use in its design. In the same filigree structure the two winter gardens, located on the terraces, assimilate the laterally projecting parts of the building in direction to the Johannisstraße. The building's courtyard that is constructed below the basement and all-round is covered with a steel-glas-roofage in form of an ellipsis.